Monday, May 28, 2007

Agoraphobia Story: Finding a Purpose Greater than Fear

Since I recovered from panic disorder and agoraphobia, people often ask me what the major turning point in my recovery was. There were many turning points, but if I had to choose just one, I would pick the night I made a deal with God in one of my darkest hours of fear. That’s because it changed the orientation of my life.

I wasn’t sure if you can really make a deal with God, but I didn’t care. In complete and utter desperation, I prayed to God that if I could be freed from suffering and have my normal life back, I would use whatever abilities God gave me in the service of other people. I told God that if I were made well, my purpose in life would be to help others in times of suffering. Though I didn’t know it then, this change in purpose made all the difference.

To that point my life had all been about me. My life had been about doing whatever I needed to do to achieve everything I wanted for myself. Though I hadn’t realized it, the purpose I had given myself actually created fear – fear of failure.

When my life was all about meeting my personal goals, fear of failure always loomed in the back of my mind. I lived with the anxiety that I may not reach my goals or get what I want out of life – and then what would my life have meant? Constantly striving, fulfillment and satisfaction always seemed to be far away in the future.

In making this promise to God that I would live to do good for others, I let go of the anxiety over reaching my personal goals and found a new sense of purpose in giving to others. This new sense of purpose offers meaning and satisfaction along the way. I have since found that when the purpose of my life is to do good for others, I have a purpose greater than fear, including the fear of failing.

The need for purpose is one of the most basic human needs. A strong sense of meaning can be powerful in overcoming a fearful situation. German psychiatrist, Viktor Frankl, wrote about this in his book, Man’s Search for Meaning.

Dr. Frankl had the unique experience of living through the horrors of the Nazi death camps of World War II. Approximately one in twenty-six of Frankl’s fellow prisoners survived. From observation and interview, Frankl discovered that the main difference between those who lived and those who died was a deep sense of meaning or purpose in life.

Simply put, the men who lived were the ones who had the strongest reasons to live. The disproportionate survival of men who practiced religious faith intrigued Frankl greatly. He watched spiritual men of inferior constitution outlive more robust prison-mates. As a result, Frankl emerged from the prison camps firmly convinced that a sense of meaning or purpose in life is as vital to our existence as food, water or clothing.

I first read about Frankl’s experience when I had agoraphobia. When I read about his experience I related to the men in the Nazi death camps because I felt like I was in prison also, only my prison was a psychological one instead of a physical one.
Agoraphobia had turned my own home into a prison. The difference between my prison and a Nazi death camp was that I had a lot more control over my release. My prison was of my own making.

I decided that if a strong sense of meaning and purpose in life could sustain a man through the horrors of a Nazi death camp, then certainly a sense of meaning and purpose in life could carry me through to the other side of panic disorder and agoraphobia. I just needed a purpose in life that was greater than my fear, especially my fear of failure.

18 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger K said...

Hi--I just found your blog and intend to do a little more reading but wanted to say how helpful I have found what I've seen so far. I'm the mom of a teen who has agoraphobia/panic disorder. He's been homebound for a few years (and now so am I). Thank you for posting so much good information.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Blog. I'm a 24 year old female and have suffered from Agoraphobia for eight years now. I lost all my friends and I'm so scared to make new friends because of what they may think of me. I'm so lonely and sad....I like the point you make about God is Love which I'm fully aware of but I'm still so scared I try to mediate on certain scripture about fear, but still no growth.... I just want my life back...HELPPPPPPPPP!!!! P.s I'm original from Merced Ca...which is ery close to Clovis...

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...


شركة قمة الدقة للخدمات المنزلية
شركة الماسة لمكافحة الحشرات بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف واجهات حجروزجاج بالخبر

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger rehabgad1 said...


Good write-up. I definitely love this site. Keep it up
http://prokr111.pen.io/
https://prokr123.snappages.site/
http://prokr123.over-blog.com/
http://l-ibda3.net/

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger MNYGM said...

https://myserviceshome.com/dammam-insulation-company/
https://myserviceshome.com/detection-of-water-leaks-in-madinah/
https://myserviceshome.com/cleaning-company-in-riyadh/
https://myserviceshome.com/transfer-to-riyadh-is-cheap/
https://myserviceshome.com/integrated-home-services-in-riyadh/

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

شركة نقل اثاث بالقنفذة
تقدم شركة شهد العالميه بالمملكة العربية السعودية خدمة نقل اثاث, تخزين اثاث, بافضل الطرق مع التعامل مع اثاث المنزل
ويجد لدينا قسم تخزين الاثاث وعمال قادرين على تحميل اى كميات الى داخل المملكة العربيه السعوديه لوجود اجدث سيارات مجهزة لحمل العفش بدون اى ضرر

شركة تنظيف بالقنفذه
شركة شهد العالميه لتنظيف بالقنفذه بوصولك الى هنا عزيزى العميل فانت تبحث على شركة لتلبى للك طلبتك فى شركة شهد العالميه وتعد ارخص وابغى شركة ما تستخدم شركة شهد العالميه احسن وافضل شركة تنظيف على مستوى المملكه

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقنفذه
تعد شركتنا احسن وافضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقنفذه وتستخدام احسن المبيدات فى مكافحة حشرات كما يوجد لدينا خصم 50% لاول 100 متصل حتى الان


شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقنفذه
يسرنا و يسعدنا ان نقدم لكم شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقنفذة هى شركة سعودية عملاقة و متخصصة فى مجال كشف تسربات المياه و اصلاحها بسرعة فائقة و بدون تكسير و باستخدام احدث
الاجهزة الالكترونية و المعمول بها حاليا بالخارج فان شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقنفذة مكة لديها خبرة كبيرة و صحيفة اعمال ممتازة تؤكد مدى كفاءتها و تميزها فى هذا المجال كما ان لديها
فريق عمل متميز و ذو خبرة عالية واذا كنت في جدة و الطائف و الليث و القنفذه و الجموم و رابغ و خليص و تربة و الخرمه و الكامل و رنية فستقدم لكم شركة كشف تسربات المياة بالقنفذة خدمات مختلفة بجانب خدمات كشف تسربات المياه بالقنفذة

شركة تنظيف مجالس بالقنفذة
العميل و ايضا يتم غسيل السجاد و الموكيت بالبخار اتصل بنا الان و لا تتردد فلن تجد كل تلك الخدمات في اي مكان اخر و لن تحصل علي كل تلك المميزات
الرائعة سوي من خلال لانه لدينا امهر فريق عمل مدرب بمهارة علي عمليات التنظيف الشامل للمنزلك ويتميز بالدقة والجودة والسرعه في انجاز العم
شركة تسليك مجارى بالقنفذة
الحديثة في مجال الصرف الصحي و تسليك المجاري كما اننا نستخدم المواد و الخامات في عملية التسليك و المجربة و المعتمدة محليا وعالميا حيث اثبت المواد التى نقوم باستخدامها في شركة تسليك مجاري بالقنفذة مكة فاعليتها و

شركة عزل بالقنفذة
نقوم في شركة عزل اسطح بالقنفذة بالعزل بواسطة بنظام البولي يوريثان ” عزل حراري ومائي ” و يعتبر هذا النظام ” العزل المرشوش ” احدث واجود و اكفأ نظم
العزل و اقلها توصيلا للحرارة بالمقارنة مع غيرها من المواد و يعتبر هذا النظام نظام عزل متكامل فهو عزل حراري و مائي في نفس الوقت كما ان من اهم مميزاتنا كالتالى


https://el-mnarr.com/

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger لمار ابراهيم للتسويق said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات عجمان
شركة مكافحة الرمة بعجمان
شركة تنظيف كنب في عجمان
شركة تنظيف بالبخار في عجمان
شركة تنظيف شقق بعجمان
تنظيف مباني بعجمان
شركة تنظيف سجاد في عجمان
شركة تنظيف في عجمان
شركة تنظيف خزانات المياه عجمان

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Noran said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.4linc.com/UserProfile/tabid/42/userId/10200/Default.aspx
http://c4uc.org/User-Profile/userId/10207.aspx
http://affiliates.avca.org/ihsvca/UserProfile/tabid/186/userId/261492/Default.aspx
https://seekingalpha.com/user/50608410/comments

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger الفارس كلين said...



شركه تنظيف موكيت بالخبر

شركه تنظيف منازل بالجبيل

شركه تنظيف خزانات بالجبيل

شركه تنظيف شقق بالجبيل

شركه تنظيف فلل بالجبيل

شركه تنظيف كنب بالجبيل

شركه تنظيف موكيت بالجبيل

شركه تنظيف منازل براس تنوره

شركه نقل عفش براس تنوره

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger dgfdgfgfgd9@gmail.com said...

شركة شفط بيارات بالدمام

شركة كشف تسريبات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالدمام

شركة تنظيف قصور بالدمام

شركة تنظيف موكيت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام

شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام

شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام

شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام

شركة تنظيف استراحات بالدمام


شركة جلى وتلميع رخام بالدمام

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger rehab.mohammed2511@gmail.com said...

شركة عزل خزانات بجازان
شركة تنظيف كنب ومجالس بجازان
شركة صيانة سباكة وترميم بجازان
شركة عزل اسطح بجازان
شركة تنظيف سجاد وموكيت بجازان
شركة تركيب طارد حمام بجازان
شركة تسليك مجاري بجازان
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بجازان
شركة تنظيف بجازان

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger شركه تنظيف منازل بالخرج said...


شركه تنظيف منازل بابها
شركه تنظيف سجاد وكنب بابها
شركه تنظيف مساجد بابها
شركه تنظيف سبابيك والدرابيث بابها
شركه تنظيف بللسمر
شركه تنظيف سجاد بمحايل عسير
شركه تظيف بمحايل عسير
شركه تنظيف سجاد ومجالس وكنب بخميس مشيط
شركه تنظيف بخميس

مشيط

شركه وكافحه حشرات بابها

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Mai said...

اللمسة الذهبية
تركيب سيراميك الفجيرة
فني تركيب بورسلين في الفجيرة
خدمات الفجيرة

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger aldeb said...

https://alraedclean.com/2020/09/10/%d8%b4%d8%b1%d9%83%d9%87-%d8%aa%d9%86%d8%b8%d9%8a%d9%81-%d9%85%d8%b3%d8%a7%d8%a8%d8%ad-%d8%a8%d8%a7%d9%84%d8%ae%d8%b1%d8%ac/

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger شركة تنظيف بالرياض said...

شركة الياسمين تنظيف بالرياض

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

شركة تعقيم منازل بالخرج
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالخرج
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالخرج
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالخرج
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج
شركة رش مبيدات بالخرج
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالخرج
شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالخرج
شركة تنظيف افران بالخرج
https://alraedclean.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home